🔕 🔔

How to salvage dry cookies

Made Alton Brown's Chocapocalypse Cookie: but used half the brown sugar and the cookie batter while tasted good before refridgerating, was quite hard to scoop and cookies came out extremely dry. can I add whipped egg whites to batter once soft again? they are christmas gifts

asked by shahira almost 2 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Throw them in a food processor and use as a crust for a chocolate mint cheese cake.

Then make some fudge or rice krispy treats for the gifts. :)

Did you accidentally use too much flour? The recipe I looked at called for one and three quarter Ounces of flour - if you misread that as cups that could be the problem. To answer your question, no, I don't think adding whipped egg whites will help. I like Sam's idea of making crumbs - I bet bourbon balls made with the crumbs would be great.

So sorry, but without seeing all the ingredients, I can't honest help. In truth, I've not always found his recipes to work all that well. His caramel recipe is worthless. Crystallizes every time.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I like Sam's idea, too. Egg whites are drying so adding extra will only make the cookies dryer. (You'd be better off adding butter.) Also, I'm sure you reduced the sugar with the best of intentions, but brown sugar also adds moistness. It happens. ( I just made a big batch of bark in which the caramel didn't set up properly. ) Since they're for gifts, it would be best to try another recipe (and follow it exactly).

*While not answering the current question, this might be useful for the future: The way I reduce sugar while keeping the moistness during baking is to add more molasses and way less white sugar (using white is easier to control), keeping the molasses content *almost* the same with the original one.
E.g.: 2/3-ing 1 cup dark brown sugar (which has 1/4 cup=4tbps molasses http://www.eatbydate.com...) == 2/3 cup of total sugar, or ~10 2/3 tbsp == ~3 2/3 (or 3 1/2) tbps molasses + 7 tbsp sugar.
Note that that I didn't add the full amount of brown sugar to compensate for the reduce in total volume.