Favorite Italian cookbooks?

Conducting a little poll here: What are your favorite Italian cookbooks?

asked by Marian Bull over 3 years ago

Fundamental, if obvious - Marcella Hazan, Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. Nancy Silverton's Mozza Cookbook is amongst my most used cookbooks these days; I love it. The River Cafe Cookbook is still a favorite. Many others, but these are the ones I probably reach for most.

cookinginvictoria

For me, Marcella also is at the top of the list. I also love Lidia Bastianich's books. My favorite (the binding is falling apart) is Lidia's Family Table, which contains the recipes that she makes for her own family. Andrew Carmellini's Urban Italian is also a personal favorite and is full of great recipes. I pull this one out for holidays, family dinners and for interesting takes on seasonal produce. Faith Heller Willinger's Red White and Green, which is a vegetable themed Italian cookbook is fantastic, and one that I have cooked from for years.

jacksonholefoodie

The Glorious Pasta of Italy by Domenica Marchetti, Coming Home to Sicily by Fabrizia Lanza, and The Frankies Spuntino Kitchen Companion and Cooking Manual by Frank Falcinelli, Frank Castronovo, and Peter Meehan. And at the moment I am heavily using Carol Field's The Italian Baker.

I have quite a few. Anything by the inimitable Anna Teresa Callen, especially her "Menus and Memories from Abruzzo," and "My Love for Naples," both of them memoirs with recipes about her growing up in those places. But my dirtiest and most dogeared one is her "Menus for Pasta," adly long out of print.

kimhw

Northern or southern Italian?

ChezHenry

Marcella Hazan for sure, her writing style is almost poetry, in addition to exact, simple, great recipes.
Ed Giobbi, Eugenia Bone's father, has some excellent books, Italian Family Cooking is my favorite. I just had a bowl of his Mussel Rice Soup, a goto of mine for 25 years.

Hazan, Classic Italian. Edda Servi Machlin, Classic Cuisine of the Italian Jews. Pellegrini, The Unprejudiced Palate. Willinger, Red White & Greens. Jack Denton Scott, Complete Book of Pasta (a weird little gem from the 1960s). Maria Pace, The Little Italy Cookbook [Toronto immigrant stories and recipes].

arcane54

So many new books and authors to learn about and many of my long-time favorites are already listed. To those I would add: Bugialli on Pasta.

Le ricette regionale italiane by Anna Gossetti della Salda. I have never seen any other cookbook like this one.

jane.coombs88

Australian Womens Weekly Italian cookbook.

Pellegrino Artusi's less well-known but thoroughly delightful "Exciting Food for Southern Types." A must-have in every cookbook collection, it provides amusing bedside reading as well. To quote the description in Google Play: ". . . these writings brim with gossip, good cheer and an inexhaustible zest for life."
Read it. ;o)

MMH
MMH

This is just for fun but if you loved The Sopranos, you'll love The Sopranos Family Cookbook (as complied by Artie Bucco). Each character provides recipes from the series with commentary - of course.