Anyone have any cookbook recommendations for Italian breads?

asked by Steve almost 3 years ago

cookbookchick

Carol Field's "The Italian Baker." It's also been revised so there are a couple of editions.

Ali Slagle

That's what I was gonna say!

Steve

Thanks!

I have a 90's (?) edition and it's still a great book with reliable instructions.

Steve

Thanks, I see it in iBooks too.

Don't know if it's still in print, but Nancy Silverton's La Brea Bakery book has a lot of Italian breads. I like her Italian recipes in general - her Mozza Cookbook is excellent.

Steve

Thanks!

1071292522

It doesn't matter if it's currently in print or not.

These days it's pretty easy to get a used copy of any previously popular cookbook at Abebooks.com (used bookstore aggregation site now owned by Amazon.com).

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Nancy Silverton is one of the reasons I'm a baker today. I would trust her implicitly with any recipe she puts forward.

I've had Carol Field's "The Italian Baker" for many years. It is well stained and dogeared.

Steve

Thx, that book seems to be getting the most recommendations.

Mine, too, June

Windischgirl

Daniel Leader's "Local Breads" has several chapters on regional Italian breads, and I have made many of them with good success.

The trouble I had with Nancy Silverton's book was in the starter instructions, which result in gallons and gallons of starter, most of which is discarded...at $1 per pound for quality flour, it seems like a terrible waste. It's not a book for a beginning baker. But if you already have an active starter, Silverton's book does a good job of spelling out the steps to get a great loaf of bread.

Steve

Thanks so much- this sounds very much like what I'm looking for! I'll check it out.

Steve

Thanks very much! This book sounds very promising! I'll check it out.