Whole or cut-up chicken for soup

Recommendations please: in making chicken soup, should I leave the chicken whole or cut it up?

asked by DebJ over 3 years ago

I prefer to cut it up because in my mind, that gives more of the bones access to the broth. Be sure to include the back and neck.

DebJ

Thanks, Susan. That's what I did. It's cooking now!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

It depends. Asian recipes use whole chicken and make a delicate, delicious broth. Chicken backs and necks, on the other hand, are cheap and also make a delicious broth. See what you think!

I think either way she is speaking of a whole chicken. She is just wondering whether to cut the chicken up or leave it whole to make soup.

DebJ

Thanks, Susan W and everyone who responded. Yes, it was the whole chicken. Actually, I've always cut it up when making soup, but I wondered if I was "missing something."

Marcmarc

I like to cook them whole just because it's easier. It makes a clearer, nicer broth if you wash it well and cook it whole.

cookbookchick

I use only wings for chicken soup.

Lynne Habig

I follow ATK's advice and brown the chicken pieces in a bit of oil for about 8 minutes a side. Makes a delicious fond that kicks up the flavor of any chicken soup!