🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Homemade Nutella

14fc8f72 4c43 4622 821c 722584fa9962  img 7753

I have a question about the recipe "Homemade Nutella" from Carey Nershi. What did I do wrong? The oil from the nuts and chocolate ganache made this all lumpy and liquidy. Not creamy at all. Very disappointed:(

asked by Junko almost 3 years ago

7c44476d 6881 431b b173 2aa8c8d05e4c  stringio

Junco, I read over the recipe and I have several idea. 1. when you were making the ganache and melting the chocolate it is really important to know that If melted chocolate gets any water in it, the chocolate will seize up and become clumpy. If chocolate gets to hot when melting it can do the same thing. Janco, you might try putting every thing back into a sauce pan add a little cream and butter and heat the pan slowly and stir..It is worth a try. Good luck, Julie B

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I don't have an answer to your question, but it appears others have had similar troubles. I've made the version from the most recent Cook's Illustrated, which is quite similar to this one: https://food52.com/recipes... . The CI version has you boil the nuts in water with baking soda to help remove the skins before roasting, and calls for 1/3 cup cocoa powder instead of 1/4 cup. It also adds 1/8 tsp salt. The CI recipe called for only 2 T hazelnut oil, but I found I needed to add more. The end product is fantastic -- like a richer version of Nutella w/o the slightly greasy mouth feel.

Perhaps your equipment is an issue? I would definitely use a blender vs a food processor. Once I purchased a Vitamix blender, I was amazed at the difference it made vs my older waring blender.