Best sub for wine in mushroom bourguignon?

I want to make Deb Perelman's mushroom bourguignon this week but i'll be cooking for a few people who prefer not to consume wine, even when cooked. Any suggestions for a substitute? Or should I just make something else altogether?

Nancy December 22, 2014

Marian, your choice...if you go for the mushroom bourgignon, use, instead of each cup of wine called for, 7/8 cup broth or juice (apple, tomato or white grape) & 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice or vinegar (to mimic the acidity). See alsodinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/one-of-my-guests-does-not-drink-what-can-i-substitute-for-alcohol-in-recipes/

Nancy December 22, 2014

typo. should have been space after also, then web address begins with "dinersjournal...

mainecook61
mainecook61 December 22, 2014

I made this recipe recently. I think the wine is essential to the recipe for depth of flavor. Why not make something else? If it's mushrooms you'd like to prepare, try this; I clipped this Deborah Madison recipe from Gourmet quite a while ago and it's delicious: http://www.epicurious.com...

QueenSashy December 22, 2014

I agree, wine is the key to bourguignon. I would go with different dish.

QueenSashy December 22, 2014

It is amazing how most of the dishes with beef and mushrooms also call for red wine. It's almost like Holy Trinity:)

You got me thinking here, is it possible to find a decent beef and mushroom dish without some red in it? Here is a recipe from Williams Sonoma that uses Dijon mustard, maybe that's the way to go.... http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/steak-mushroom-stew.html

caninechef
caninechef December 23, 2014

Stroganoff? which people also make with just mushrooms

sexyLAMBCHOPx December 23, 2014

I think Verjus would work. I say go for it.

ChefJune December 23, 2014

I've made wineless Bourguignons for folks who insisted, but I think they're missing "something." I would make a different mushroom dish instead. Do Deb's recipe when you'll be cooking for folks who will love it the way it was intended to be...

Antigoni Sander McCloud
Antigoni Sander McCloud December 26, 2014

I have made Deb's Mushroom Bourguignon a couple of times and the red wine is definitely a crucial ingredient for this. I agree with those who have encouraged you to try a different mushroom recipe. This one needs the wine to balance out the flavors (especially that of the Tomato Paste). If you do really want to make it, I would suggest boosting the flavor of the soup with some beef bouillon. It will give it a little heft and depth of flavor. Let us know if you do try it without!!