Best sub for wine in mushroom bourguignon?

I want to make Deb Perelman's mushroom bourguignon this week but i'll be cooking for a few people who prefer not to consume wine, even when cooked. Any suggestions for a substitute? Or should I just make something else altogether?

asked by Marian Bull almost 4 years ago

Marian, your choice...if you go for the mushroom bourgignon, use, instead of each cup of wine called for, 7/8 cup broth or juice (apple, tomato or white grape) & 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice or vinegar (to mimic the acidity). See alsodinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/one-of-my-guests-does-not-drink-what-can-i-substitute-for-alcohol-in-recipes/

typo. should have been space after also, then web address begins with "dinersjournal...

mainecook61

I made this recipe recently. I think the wine is essential to the recipe for depth of flavor. Why not make something else? If it's mushrooms you'd like to prepare, try this; I clipped this Deborah Madison recipe from Gourmet quite a while ago and it's delicious: http://www.epicurious.com...

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I agree, wine is the key to bourguignon. I would go with different dish.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

It is amazing how most of the dishes with beef and mushrooms also call for red wine. It's almost like Holy Trinity:)

You got me thinking here, is it possible to find a decent beef and mushroom dish without some red in it? Here is a recipe from Williams Sonoma that uses Dijon mustard, maybe that's the way to go.... http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/steak-mushroom-stew.html

caninechef

Stroganoff? which people also make with just mushrooms

I think Verjus would work. I say go for it.

I've made wineless Bourguignons for folks who insisted, but I think they're missing "something." I would make a different mushroom dish instead. Do Deb's recipe when you'll be cooking for folks who will love it the way it was intended to be...

Antigoni Sander McCloud

I have made Deb's Mushroom Bourguignon a couple of times and the red wine is definitely a crucial ingredient for this. I agree with those who have encouraged you to try a different mushroom recipe. This one needs the wine to balance out the flavors (especially that of the Tomato Paste). If you do really want to make it, I would suggest boosting the flavor of the soup with some beef bouillon. It will give it a little heft and depth of flavor. Let us know if you do try it without!!