thin curd

I am making a lemon lime curd that calls for 5TBSP butter, 1cup lemon/lime juice, 1cup sugar, 9 egg yolks and zest. I just finished it and it is not thick at all. I know it will thicken upon cooling but right now it is extremely watery. Is there anything I can do to thicken it up? It does taste great.

• Posted by: ktr
  • December 23, 2014

maryGpastorek
maryGpastorek December 23, 2014

I usually only use egg yolks when making lemon curd, I would try adding another yolk (no white) and heat it back up. The extra yolk and heat should help thicken it.

maryGpastorek
maryGpastorek December 23, 2014

Sorry I just realized you said you only used yolks. Disregard my last comment about adding more yolks. Have you tried reheating it? I would heat it back up and as a last resort you can try adding cornstarch.

ktr
ktr December 23, 2014

I tried reheating it already. I may have to let it cool down and see just how much it thickens before I try adding cornstarch.

maryGpastorek
maryGpastorek December 23, 2014

Yea, I agree hopefully it thickens up. :)

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 23, 2014

For a quick test you can take a spoonful of warm curd, put it on a plate in the fridge for about 10 min, see how stiff it gets when cool. Saves the bother of cooling down the entire batch.

Let us know how it goes. Sounds delicious.

HalfPint December 23, 2014

How long did you cook it?

ktr
ktr December 23, 2014

It was a blender recipe. I cooked it until it was at least 170 degrees.

ktr
ktr December 24, 2014

Ok, I have no idea how it thickened as much as it did. It was still pretty runny last night when I went to bed and I was thinking I was going to have to recook it today and try to save it. . . but, I woke up this morning and it somehow thickened overnight to the perfect consistency. I'm thinking the lesson learned here is patience.

maryGpastorek
maryGpastorek December 24, 2014

Thats great to hear! Happy Holidays!