what is amaranth suppose to taste like?

I just boiled up my first harvest of amaranth grain, it tastes terrible. Sweet at first, almost sickly, then like over boiled spinach. What's it suppose to taste like?

kimhw
kimhw December 29, 2014

I always found it really nutty. How did you cook it? Try cooking in chicken stock.

Susan W December 29, 2014

I haven't had it in a while, but I remember it being nutty. A little like wheat berries. Definitely not like spinach. I remember unpleasant things happening if it was cooked too long.

sydney
sydney December 29, 2014

I've found it neutral tasting but hard to use. Now I add a bit into rice, oat, or quinoa cooking, or roast it with spiced nuts (it sticks to the bigger nuts when coated in egg white).

Panfusine
Panfusine December 29, 2014

Amaranth greens are very similar to spinach in taste, but for the grains you're better off toasting them before cooking with them (maybe steaming the toasted seeds will be good for adding into a salad perhaps?)
They tend to pop like microscopic popcorn kernels. If you have an Indian grocery store, look for 'Rajgira' seeds. The popped 'kernels are sold as sweet bars similar to Kellogg's rice krispie bars

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 30, 2014

It did have nutty undertones to it. I agree, the leaves are like strong spinach, but stir fry up nice when young.

I boiled the amaranth for just over 30 min with 1 part grain, three parts water. Then just tried a spoonful to see what it was like. Definitely needs to be in a recipe, but not many recipes online for amaranth.

It's Burgundy Grain Amaranth incase anyone else here grows their own. I think the commercial stuff is a version of the Golden Grain Amaranth.

Steamed toasted seeds, sounds like a good idea for tomorrow.

I'm bound and determined to find something to do with all this grain.

Maedl December 30, 2014

Amaranth is related to spinach, so that explains the flavor. I would also describe it as vaguely nutty, and as neutral as well. As I was reading your question, I was eating a porridge that I make with amaranth, quinoa, and buckwheat. I add butter, fresh ginger and cinnamon, and top it with yogurt and cranberry sauce, which makes it a lot more interesting.

Did you soak it before you cooked it? My recipe calls for a 12 hour soak. That might remove some of the objectionable flavor and decrease cooking time.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 30, 2014

I didn't know to soak it. Good idea. I'll give it a try.

Maedl December 30, 2014

Let me know if you want the porridge recipe--I can post it easily. I’m not a huge fan of cooked cereal (or pseudo-cereal), but this is quite good and on a cold, winter morning, it hits the spot.