Has anyone baked the Cinnamon-Sugar Breakfast Puffs? How puffy are they supposed to be?

I halved the sugar and used ALL buckwheat flour and they didn't rise much but were like a very light, airy quick-bread. What is texture like with AP flour and full sugar (creampuff-like?). Dough was so gluey I was surprised they were light at all!

asked by sydney over 3 years ago

navahfrost

I make these according to the recipe with AP flour. They don't get hugely puffy, but they do rise to about the size of a doughnut hole. The texture is light, but not say, with big air holes like pate-a choux, which is what's used for cream puffs. More like a fluffy ball of cake. . . mmmm. . .delicious.

sydney

Thanks! Sounds like a very forgiving recipe, then. That sounds like the texture I got with buckwheat flour and half sugar! I'm surprised. (Agree, they were delicious!)

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks