🔕 🔔

Fresh pasta clumps together when cooked

I love fresh pasta when I order at a restaurant. Lately I've purchased fresh cut pasta from local italian delis; however, as soon as I stick it in boiling water, the pasta clumps together and gets super gummy. Last night I put the pasta in hot boiling water for MAYBE 90 seconds and it still happened and I took it straight from the pot of water to the plate. Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening? Should I just stick the fresh pasta straight into the sauce? I noticed after the fact that taking the starchy water and mixing it with the pasta and the sauce helped unstick it a little but I only reserved about half a cup and it wasn't enough to unstick all of it and I was a little worried about diluting the sauce too much.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

asked by Alison over 2 years ago

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

The most likely culprit is probably the ratio of pasta to cooking water - try increasing the amount of water in your next batch. More water does two things: dilutes the starch, and makes it easier for the water to reach boiling again after the pasta is added. You want that gap to be as small as possible.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I would also stir the pasta for about a minute after the water returns to a rolling boil.