Is white wine the same as cooking white wine?

I see a lot of recipes with white wine in them and use the cooking white wine but could i use regular white wine? Like a sweet moscato?

asked by Christina Marie Smith almost 4 years ago

A couple of issues here: one is that "cooking" wine generally has a whole lot of salt, rendering it unfit for drink but okay for cooking as long as you factor in all the salt. A regular white wine can be a better choice.

But, when I say "regular" white wine, that usually means one that is not so sweet. For some dishes, your sweet wine might be appropriate, but for most of them, you'd be better off going with something like a Sauvignon blanc.

if you don't drink white wine or are going to use it only occasionally, you might think about using a dry (white) vermouth. That'd be my choice before something labeled "cooking" wine.

bigpan

Only cook with wine that you would drink or offer to your guests.

keg72

Dry vermouth will last a few months in the fridge. It will eventually turn vinegary, but before that happens, it'll just lose some of its flavor. It's commonly sold in 1/2 bottles, so that helps with using it up prior to it going bad. I completely agree with the above comments regarding only cooking with a wine you'd be willing to drink, by the way.

ktr
ktr

Wow, I didn't know it would keep nearly that long! I'm not much of a wine drinker other than sweet wines, so whenever I open a bottle to cook with it tends to get pushed to the back of the fridge until I can finally bring myself to dump it out.

cookbookchick

Wine can be frozen for future use. Much better option, if you have freezer space than sticking it in the fridge until you throw it out. Don't freeze in the bottle, though. Decant into a freezer container or even an ice cube tray. Once frozen, stick the cubes in a freezer bag to use as needed.

cookbookchick

And by the way, in Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Julia Child repeatedly includes dry vermouth in her recipes where wine is an ingredient.

asha patel

Cooking wine has a lot of salt. I prefer to cook with a Chardonnay or Pinot. But if you don't drink white wine that often, buying a 4-pack (6-8 8 oz) of white or red wines is a good way to go. 2

asha patel

What ever wine you cook with is also the wine you should serve with the meal.

freezing wine in ice cube trays (then storing in a freezer baggie) is a great way to portion it out. You just need one of two to deglaze a pan!
FWIW, wines that are low in tannins and/or oak make the best wines to cook with. This leaves out most Califormia chardonnays and pretty much all Cabernet Sauvignons. I really prefer dry vermouth to white wine for cooking for all the aforementioned reasons. Beaujolais or other Gamay wines are great (and affordable) for reds.

nancy essig

I use white vermouth in place of white wine, chinese cooking wine, sherry, whenever a recipe calls for a small amt of something something I use vermouth. I always have it on hand because I love perfect martinis.