Is white wine the same as cooking white wine?

I see a lot of recipes with white wine in them and use the cooking white wine but could i use regular white wine? Like a sweet moscato?

Greenstuff January 10, 2015

A couple of issues here: one is that "cooking" wine generally has a whole lot of salt, rendering it unfit for drink but okay for cooking as long as you factor in all the salt. A regular white wine can be a better choice.

But, when I say "regular" white wine, that usually means one that is not so sweet. For some dishes, your sweet wine might be appropriate, but for most of them, you'd be better off going with something like a Sauvignon blanc.

if you don't drink white wine or are going to use it only occasionally, you might think about using a dry (white) vermouth. That'd be my choice before something labeled "cooking" wine.

bigpan
bigpan January 10, 2015

Only cook with wine that you would drink or offer to your guests.

Voted the Best Reply!

ChefJune January 10, 2015

Please don't ever buy that stuff in the grocery store labeled "cooking wine." What that is is the cheapest sourest stuff they could NEVER sell any other way thats been doctored with lots of salt or salty elements. It's the worst! Always use white wine, or dry white Vermouth. But don't cook savory food with a sweet wine like Moscato. That's to drink for dessert!
Vermouth is a great choice, because once opened, it keeps longer than white wine because it's fortified wine. Plus, it has 13 herbs in it that won't hurt what your cooking one bit. :)

ktr
ktr January 11, 2015

How long will vermouth keep once opened?

keg72
keg72 January 12, 2015

Dry vermouth will last a few months in the fridge. It will eventually turn vinegary, but before that happens, it'll just lose some of its flavor. It's commonly sold in 1/2 bottles, so that helps with using it up prior to it going bad. I completely agree with the above comments regarding only cooking with a wine you'd be willing to drink, by the way.

ktr
ktr January 12, 2015

Wow, I didn't know it would keep nearly that long! I'm not much of a wine drinker other than sweet wines, so whenever I open a bottle to cook with it tends to get pushed to the back of the fridge until I can finally bring myself to dump it out.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick January 12, 2015

Wine can be frozen for future use. Much better option, if you have freezer space than sticking it in the fridge until you throw it out. Don't freeze in the bottle, though. Decant into a freezer container or even an ice cube tray. Once frozen, stick the cubes in a freezer bag to use as needed.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick January 12, 2015

And by the way, in Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Julia Child repeatedly includes dry vermouth in her recipes where wine is an ingredient.

asha patel
asha patel January 13, 2015

Cooking wine has a lot of salt. I prefer to cook with a Chardonnay or Pinot. But if you don't drink white wine that often, buying a 4-pack (6-8 8 oz) of white or red wines is a good way to go. 2

asha patel
asha patel January 13, 2015

What ever wine you cook with is also the wine you should serve with the meal.

ChefJune January 13, 2015

freezing wine in ice cube trays (then storing in a freezer baggie) is a great way to portion it out. You just need one of two to deglaze a pan!
FWIW, wines that are low in tannins and/or oak make the best wines to cook with. This leaves out most Califormia chardonnays and pretty much all Cabernet Sauvignons. I really prefer dry vermouth to white wine for cooking for all the aforementioned reasons. Beaujolais or other Gamay wines are great (and affordable) for reds.

nancy essig
nancy essig January 15, 2015

I use white vermouth in place of white wine, chinese cooking wine, sherry, whenever a recipe calls for a small amt of something something I use vermouth. I always have it on hand because I love perfect martinis.