Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

i would like to know how to make a pot roast that does not come out dry?

i have tried so many different recipes and they all turn out dry. I almost feel like I should stop making them. Any suggestions for a no fail juicy roast?

asked by maryg almost 2 years ago
8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I've made this one a while back and it was very moist & tender. https://food52.com/recipes...

Yes, we had that for our Christmas dinner, and it was positively delicious - very moist. The key is not to overcook, and not to sear it too long at the outset. It's also important to get a well-marbled roast. I use chuck eye roast, and I select the one with the most marbling for the best result. Another suggestion is to make it the day before, let it cool in the pot with the braising liquid, and then refrigerate it overnight in those juices. The roast and the sauce both taste great the next day, and the roast is wonderfully moist. ;o)

ktr

I'd suggest cooking your pot roast in a slow cooker. Throw it is with your seasonings and some veggies if you want, cover, and cook on low all day.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I love a pot roast that is cooked low and slow.

For a marbled chunk of meat, I brown it (sometimes, usually not), put it in the big black cast iron dutch oven, add carrots, potatoes, onions, any other veg, about 1/4 cup of wine/water/stock. Cook it on the stove at about 2 - stove is min through 11 - checking every so often to see if it needs liquid. Usually not as the veg make liquid.

Same basic procedure in a slow cooker, first hour on high, then after that low.

For a roast with very little fat in it, I wrap it in bacon, then do as above. Or sometimes you can get free fat from the butcher and just layer it on top of the roast. This seems to help moisten it up. Fat is your friend.

I know there are more proper ways of cooking a roast, browning and braising, and all that jazzy stuff. I'm confident it's wonderful. One of these days I'll learn them.

But for now, I'll stick to the way my mother use to make her pot roasts, and my grandmother, and her mother, and so on. Very simple, put everything in a pot, heat low, and forget until serving time. Even the less affluent chunks of beast turn out melt in your mouth tender and juicy when done this way.

Sear meat first use a Dutch oven or something well sealed and liquid must start off half way covering meat. Do not be afraid to get a fat marbled piece of meat

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Maryg, not knowing what recipes you've tried, it's hard to pinpoint what went wrong. However, it could be that the meat either did not have enough fat throughout (as inpatskitchen suggests, a chuck roast is an excellent choice) or perhaps it was cooked at too high a temperature, and/or not cooked long enough.

I remember reading somewhere (Cook's Illustrated maybe?) about pot roast: "Cook it til it's done, then cook it some more." Low and slow is definitely your friend here!

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

Agree with many of the points noted here. I do my pot roasts in the slow cooker on the low setting or in the oven with a parchment lid. The cut of the meat is important. As others have said a marbled chuck roast is best. The other thing to do is to make sure to sear and get the roast as brown as possible on the stove top before braising. This will look appealing and add a good deal of flavor to the finished roast. Adding flavorful ingredients to the braising liquid is also key -- I like adding red wine and/or good quality beef broth, onions, carrots, celery, turnips or parsnips, and fresh rosemary and thyme.

The key to tender pot roast is using the right cut of meat. There must be enough fat. A chuck roast is a good choice. Filet or rib roast does not have enough fat to yield a tender dish when braised. It's also important to cook the meat low and slow. I usually sear the meat first to get the fond, and a nice browned look and taste. Then add the vegetables and liquid of your choice and bring the liquid to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer covered, either on top the stove or in a moderate oven for several hours.