Does "fining" homemade bone broth using egg whites alter the nutritional value of the broth in any way?

I make my own bone broth and sometimes I "fine" it using egg whites, to get a pretty, clear liquid. It occurred to me recently that the process of fining may be removing valuable protein, since it takes away the particles. Some of the articles I have read about fining (written by cooks, but not nutritionists) refer to the process of fining as "removing the protein". My question is: does fining my homemade broth using egg whites diminish the nutritional value of the broth in any way? Thanks in advance.

asked by Sandy hill almost 4 years ago

They are speaking of the protein that are little meat and blood bits. I don't do it. I wouldn't want to waste eggs and for me, straining it through a fine mesh strainer and sometimes cheesecloth is all I feel the need to do. I honestly don't really see the purpose unless you are working in a high end restaurant. Even then, I doubt many do that.

I haven't seen any chemical analyses but think that clarifying stocks does alter the nutritional content a bit. It certainly robs some of the flavor--that's why some chefs use additional meat in their clarification processes instead of just relying on the egg whites. There are times that a crystal-clear broth is just what you need, but for me, those are special occasions.

Nate Davis

What is happening here is as proteins are unfolding (denaturing) and clumping together (coagulating) they form intricate networks of protein chains and bundles. As a result macromolecules such as protein and fat are caught up in the mix and can be easily strained because of the large particle size. Though gelatin is a more effective method. See the filtration method outlined in the article here: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Nutritionally there is a loss of protein and fat, leaving smaller particles (like flavor compounds) unaffected. However, the amount of protein in the broth is not substantial. Better a clear broth than a little more protein in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I get all of your science stuff, but better a clear broth than a little more protein. I disagree. I prefer a good bone broth.

Sandy hill

Thanks, Nate, for pointing me to the wikipedia article. It clarifies a lot (pun intended). I am still seeking an answer which numerically quantifies (in %) the loss of protein using the egg white fining process, beyond the general descriptors of "not substantial" or "a lot". I am not at all interested in using the gelatin process, even though it is interesting to know about, because no matter how I plan to use the finished broth, I prefer the mouthfeel and health benefits (collagen) when the gelatin remains. I will follow the threads in Wiki. Maybe even more info there.