🔕 🔔

What will happen if I use red wine instead of white in chicken recipe?

I'm making a slow-cooker whole chicken, and the recipe calls for 1/4 cup chicken broth and 1/4 cup dry white wine. I have on hand lamb broth and red wine. I'm not really well versed in the uses and types of wines, so will it kill the chicken if I use the red?

asked by sarah k. over 5 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Proceed! (Think Coq au Vin -- Chicken in Red Wine)

Of course! Thanks, ChefOno! I do wish I'd waited and modified the spice/herb mix, but we'll see how it turns out.

p.s., thanks for putting me at ease. I use the red wine and lamb broth, slow-cooked the chicken for 5 hours with 2 chopped onions, 8 cloves garlic, salt, and a couple tablespoons of Penzey's Arizona Dreaming (which made me worry at first, since I'd seasoned it before realizing I had no white wine), and when the chicken was done, I shredded it for a sort of mock chicken caesar salad. What was left in the pot, I just pureed, and it made the MOST amazing gravy, it almost tasted like it had mushrooms in it, it was so savory.