Pop up ads

What's the deal? Every time I open a new page (recipe, question on the hotline, whatever) a very annoying pop up ad appears on the page. This just started and it is really distracting. Is there a way to shut them off? I've got an IPad2.

• Posted by: Susan
  • January 16, 2015

Voted the Best Reply!

Dona
Dona January 16, 2015

Same here. I X it out and it comes right back. I often just give up and leave the site.

Nicole Price
Nicole Price January 16, 2015

Hi Susan (+ Dona),

Sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are working on this issue now and should have this resolved quickly! If you have any questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Susan
Susan January 16, 2015

Thanks, Nicole!! And thanks for getting on this so quick!

Pegeen January 16, 2015

Are you using a web browser or Food52's app? If you're using a browser, you can also just go to Preferences and turn off third-party pop-up ads.

Dona
Dona January 16, 2015

I've done that, it works on other sites, but not this one .

Susan
Susan January 16, 2015

Ditto what Dona wrote - the standard browser control doesn't effect certain kinds of pop ups. But Nicole is on the case and I trust her to resolve it soon.

AntoniaJames January 16, 2015

You can touch the x on the right side to get rid of it. The ads are one way we compensate Food52 for the right to read their content, post comments, get advice via the Hotline, etc. You should send a note to the editors telling them that these ads create an unpleasant user experience. You might ask them for a workaround, though I doubt there is one. If you think the quality of the ads is bad for their brand, tell them that, too. In fact, everyone who shares this opinion should send a note. This site is nothing without us, the users, and they know it. ;o)

Greenstuff January 16, 2015

AJ, you must not be having the problem. The site works okay on my desktop, but on my iPad, I touch the x and it pops right back up. Over and over and over and over.

AntoniaJames January 16, 2015

Yes, it's popping up on mine, repeatedly, too. I plan not to visit the site from my iPad or any device for that matter unless absolutely necessary until they fix it. Best way to affect website owner behavior is to drive down their metrics. ;o)

sexyLAMBCHOPx January 16, 2015

Hmm, that's a passive-aggressive response, lol. As you can see by the response above the issue is now be addressed.

FWIW - I have no issues with the site re: pop-up ads using my iphone or ipad.