Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

I made cheesecake for Christmas dinner - my first time. It tasted great, but when it cooled it developed huge Grand-Canyon-esque craters through the middle. How do I prevent this next time around?

asked by sunnyluz almost 6 years ago
73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

Your recipe probably didn't call for using different temperatures. A little trick in baking your cheesecake and avoiding cracks is to use an initial high heat to warm things up and then turn down after 15 minutes. If I remember correctly bake at 350F for 15 min, then 275F. A cheesecake is (usually) a custard which uses eggs but you have to take care that they don't work as a leavener. The reason for turning down the heat is to limit the expansion and to cook the center without over cooking the top. If the top cooks first and then the center expands while cooking you'll get cracks. And yes always use a water bath and non-stick spray or butter on the sides.I've had great result in turning down three times with a finished temp of 240F. But, If interested check out some recipe's using gelatin and doesn't call for baking at all.