Okay foodie peeps. All my recipes say use string bread flour, but I only have plain (all-purpose) flour. I want to make bread, so shall I just add in wheat gluten as I have some of that?

asked by Cookwitch over 7 years ago

Cookwitch

STRONG bread flour. Sorry!

Cookwitch

I have answered my own question.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5110058_add...

That would be food perps to you, ma'am.

"Strong bread flour" doesn't translate well to the USA. I'm guessing you mean what we would call "high gluten".

usuba dashi

I haven't done this trick in years, but if you take plain flour and "wash" the starch away to get extra gluten. It is a bit tricky to do, but if you make a small ball of dough (flour & water), and manipulate it under slow running water, you will see the starch wash away and ball of gluten stay behind in your hand.

usuba dashi

And I forgot to say . . .knead the gluten ball into your dough that calls for strong flour.