🔕 🔔

Okay foodie peeps. All my recipes say use string bread flour, but I only have plain (all-purpose) flour. I want to make bread, so shall I just add in wheat gluten as I have some of that?

asked by Cookwitch over 6 years ago

STRONG bread flour. Sorry!

I have answered my own question.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5110058_add...

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

That would be food perps to you, ma'am.

"Strong bread flour" doesn't translate well to the USA. I'm guessing you mean what we would call "high gluten".

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

I haven't done this trick in years, but if you take plain flour and "wash" the starch away to get extra gluten. It is a bit tricky to do, but if you make a small ball of dough (flour & water), and manipulate it under slow running water, you will see the starch wash away and ball of gluten stay behind in your hand.

And I forgot to say . . .knead the gluten ball into your dough that calls for strong flour.