A question about a recipe: Patricia Wells' Fake Frites

368c4873 5ccc 4cd2 9708 f3f916104e19  2014 1220 fake frites 079

I have a question about the recipe "Patricia Wells' Fake Frites" from Genius Recipes. Will parchment paper produce dramatically different results?

asked by Randi over 3 years ago

Parchment paper should be fine. Results should be the same

Holly

I used parchment paper and the fries were not as crispy as I advertised. I want to try with aluminum foil next time to see if it will help the fries to be crispier.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

The oven temp is above the burning point for paper (which is 451 F), so I wouldn't recommend it. In practice, your parchment probably won't burn all over but you may get a lot of charring and crumbling around the edges and where the paper isn't covered by potatoes, leaving you with lots of burned paper bits to get stuck to the potatoes.

I would instead just lightly oil your plain metal pan. The potatoes will be well oiled and the high heat will sear them, so as long as you wait until that searing happens to flip them, they won't stick.

There's always the old standby of foil.