What entree would you serve at a party if you're starting with freshly shucked oysters?

I never seem to have any issues ordering oysters + mains at a restaurant, but when my dinner guests told me they'd be bringing oysters to serve on the half shell as a starter, I became completely stumped as to the rest of my menu! What would you serve as an entree/main if oysters are your first course?

asked by Hillary Reeves almost 4 years ago

For some reason, I'm thinking beef would be good paired with oysters on the half shell. Sort of a surf & turf theme. Maybe grilled or roasted tenderloin & a green salad with some citrus.

Hillary Reeves

Love that idea. Classic, clean flavors.

Gee, it could be anything you want! However when I first saw your question what came immediately to mind was "Prime Rib!"

From the answers so far, I'm thinking Diamond Jim Brady (famous 19thc New York city eater), so New York steakhouse or British men's club menus. Hope this helps.

Hillary Reeves

Yes!! Thank you. I think I will go with the steak route. This has been so helpful!!

HTNart

How big is your party? How about a simple, silky homemade pasta dish, like carbonara?

I might go with Amanda's Sugar Steak with Bourbon: https://food52.com/recipes...
Or maybe pan-seared flank steak atop a dollop of pierino's Romesco: https://food52.com/recipes...
In either case I'd add some bitter greens, maybe sautéed escarole, maybe grilled radicchio.

Kate Pinot

def fish. i would do a whole branzino in the oven with fingerling potatoes and cherry tomatoes maybe a bit of capers with lemon and olive oil or stay with the cold / hands-on route and do shrimps (medium sized) with a bit of sea salt and homemade garlic mayonnaise and a fresh baguette. A easier option would be a delicious seafood linguine. Have fun!

Shrimp etouffee with white rice. A brown roux..onions, celery, bell pepper, parsley and green onion. Finely chopped. Cooked in the roux with oil until translucent. Add Thyme, garlic, bay leaf and chopped tomatoed (drained). Oh..and save the shrimp shells and make a stock out of them before hand (a pressure cooker makes quick work of this).
Add the stock and a cup of white wine. A bit of white pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and Worcester sauce. A dash of Tabasco sauce.
Cook that on a slow simmer about 2 hours...adjust season. Add the shrimp at the 30 mins before serving. Simmer that until the shrimp are cooked. Taste and adjust heat/spice and seasoning.
Serve with a 'ice cream scoop' of white rice on a plate surrounded by the etouffee. topped with parsley and green onion bits.

Then a sorbet...followed by a peach cobbler with ice cream and coffee.

Ellis Gutshall

beef tenderloin, medium rare