🔕 🔔

I'm trying to use up Christmas leftovers and I'm thinking pierogies filled with potato, cheddar, and broccoli. I've never made pierogies before (though I looooove to eat them!), and was wondering whether they'd freeze well. Any other tips would be great, too, if you've got 'em! :) Thanks in advance!

asked by campagnes over 6 years ago

4fa8f6fd a181 41aa b4e7 be25efd9ec07  100 0039

They for sure freeze well - I served frozen ones that I made a week previously on Christmas Eve, and I always freeze some extra when I make them. The most important advice I could share is to make sure you roll the dough out thin - about 1/8 inch. I've made them in a rush before and let the dough be a little thicker and it is really not very good that way.

I've made perogies before and frozen them and its easiest to put them on a baking sheet and put the baking sheet in the freezer, and then once they are frozen put them in a ziploc bag, so they don't all stick together.

And a shortcut to the dough is using wonton wrappers if you can find them at the store.

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

Should I freeze them completely raw? or boil them first, then fry them out of the freezer? Thanks so much for the tips.

You can freeze them raw, and then boil them just like you would fresh ones (put in boiling water, wait until they rise to the top, then wait one minute longer, and remove)

My grandmother taught me how to make pierogi's when I was very little, I grew up making them with her through my childhood. The first time I ventured out to make them on my own I only asked her for the dough recipe (not her filling recipe). I was making potato & cheese pierogi's. For the filling, I made actual mashed potatoes with butter & cream and let me tell you -- that was a mistake - they were so soupy! I should have skipped the butter and cream. That was years ago and I still laugh when I think about my "mashed" potato pierogi's!

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I freeze them raw on a sheet, then bag them up (as dahliat recommends). I'll keep mine in the freezer without issue for about 6 months, though on the latter end of that they tend to start a bit of freezer burn. It's best to use them in the first couple of months. Enjoy! Pierogi are so much fun to make.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I'm so glad you asked this - sounds like a great thing to make a big batch of and freeze - thanks!

Ah, good to know, Potato - I was going to do something similar, so I'll just stick with plain potatoes.

I'm excited to make them! Thanks for all the pointers, everyone!