Crème fraiche to accompany Lapsang Souchong cured king salmon

I am making cured king salmon for a party this Saturday. The cure is salt, turbinado sugar, Lapsang Souchong, a pinch of Chinese five spice, a pinch of chipotle powder and a pinch of black pepper. Disclaimer: I have not tried this combination of spices before and this could end up in a complete disaster. In case it works out – how would you accompany it? I would like to use gently scented crème fraiche or mayo. I often make Earl Gray cured salmon and serve it vanilla mayonnaise. It could work here, but I would like to try something new. What do you suggest?

readerwriter
readerwriter June 5, 2013

Oh, gosh, go for the creme fraiche! Your cure combination sounds divine! Maybe add some lime to the creme fraiche?

Droplet
Droplet June 5, 2013

Some sesame mayo maybe

savorthis
savorthis June 6, 2013

I almost always use a shiitake mayo with anything lapsang souchong. I grind the dried mushrooms and mix with mayo, citrus (orange, lemon, or lime) and some sriracha. I think for salmon you could mix mayo and creme fraiche or even sour cream just to lighten it up a bit. And a fresh herb like chives or cilantro. I do not question your ability with spice combination after eating those amazing ribs ... though I might substitute the chipotle for urfa/aleppo or just chili powder... just a lot of smoke with the tea. Though the chipotle would probably be good too-

sdebrango June 6, 2013

I think it sounds amazing and agree with savorthis about the chipotle and subbing urfa/aleppo.

CarlaCooks
CarlaCooks June 6, 2013

Can you share your recipe/method for curing with Earl Gray? I'd love to try it!

QueenSashy June 6, 2013

CarlaCooks, absolutely, the recipe is on the site, http://food52.com/recipes...

CarlaCooks
CarlaCooks June 6, 2013

Lovely! It looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing!

QueenSashy June 6, 2013

Thank you, I love all suggestions and might make them all, and let the guests have fun.

ChefJune June 6, 2013

You could blend those ground, dried shiitakes with your creme fraiche, too... A little lime, tarragon and my "fave," Szechuan pepper -- just a pinch).

QueenSashy June 15, 2013

Just wanted to thank you all for the ideas! It worked, and I finally got to post the recipe, http://food52.com/recipes...