Crème fraiche to accompany Lapsang Souchong cured king salmon

I am making cured king salmon for a party this Saturday. The cure is salt, turbinado sugar, Lapsang Souchong, a pinch of Chinese five spice, a pinch of chipotle powder and a pinch of black pepper. Disclaimer: I have not tried this combination of spices before and this could end up in a complete disaster. In case it works out – how would you accompany it? I would like to use gently scented crème fraiche or mayo. I often make Earl Gray cured salmon and serve it vanilla mayonnaise. It could work here, but I would like to try something new. What do you suggest?

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

readerwriter

Oh, gosh, go for the creme fraiche! Your cure combination sounds divine! Maybe add some lime to the creme fraiche?

Droplet

Some sesame mayo maybe

savorthis

I almost always use a shiitake mayo with anything lapsang souchong. I grind the dried mushrooms and mix with mayo, citrus (orange, lemon, or lime) and some sriracha. I think for salmon you could mix mayo and creme fraiche or even sour cream just to lighten it up a bit. And a fresh herb like chives or cilantro. I do not question your ability with spice combination after eating those amazing ribs ... though I might substitute the chipotle for urfa/aleppo or just chili powder... just a lot of smoke with the tea. Though the chipotle would probably be good too-

I think it sounds amazing and agree with savorthis about the chipotle and subbing urfa/aleppo.

CarlaCooks

Can you share your recipe/method for curing with Earl Gray? I'd love to try it!

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

CarlaCooks, absolutely, the recipe is on the site, http://food52.com/recipes...

CarlaCooks

Lovely! It looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing!

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Thank you, I love all suggestions and might make them all, and let the guests have fun.

You could blend those ground, dried shiitakes with your creme fraiche, too... A little lime, tarragon and my "fave," Szechuan pepper -- just a pinch).

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Just wanted to thank you all for the ideas! It worked, and I finally got to post the recipe, http://food52.com/recipes...