Come up with some flavor combos for chicken marinade (riffing off Sam Sifton's Chicken Schwarma)

Short Version:
What are some combinations of spices that would work well to marinate boneless chicken thighs for a few hours?

Long version:
Sam Sifton ran a recipe in the NYTimes a few weeks ago for chicken schwarma. It was EXTREMELY easy and EXTREMELY delicious. Mix some olive oil and lemon juice and a half dozen spices in a zip-loc. Throw in some boneless chicken thighs. Marinate for a few hours. Throw in the oven on a sheet pan (without the zip-loc) for a half-hour or so.

Delicious.

Anyway, with a 3 year old (1 week older than Clara) and a 1 year old, I'm always looking for easy, delicious, make–ahead dishes. So, what combinations of flavors could I use? For example, I could go simple Italian and use olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt.

So, what else?

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

asked almost 4 years ago

Meaghan F

Not too long ago, Mark Bittman did a piece in the NY Times about simple DIY spice mixes - any one of them, thinned with a little neutral oil for a marinade or used as-is as a dry rub, would be great on some chicken thighs (or breasts, or drumsticks, or wings...).
http://www.nytimes.com...

keg72

A super-easy one that I've used to good effect -- put the thighs in a Ziploc. Add buttermilk to cover them. Add minced garlic (or even garlic powder), some onion powder if you have it and paprika. The buttermilk both tenderizes the meat and imparts a lovely flavor. Easy and delicious!

Tony S

A couple of easy marinades for chicken:

1) 1 cup plain yogurt, 2 Tbs harissa, a squeeze of lemon juice and a splash of olive oil.

2) 1/2 of an onion grated on the small holes of a box grater, juice of a lemon, and a few tablespoons of olive oil.

I like to marinade my chicken in honey, minced garlic, soy sauce, olive oil, S&P and a heavy pinch of five spice powder.

TobiT

Lime juice, olive oil, a little cumin and a little honey. Cayenne if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.