A question about a recipe: Dan Barber's Braised Short Ribs

Bd9d58a4 cc9c 4679 85a1 bacc43995ba3  5349824048 0f7d18165a z

I have a question about the recipe "Dan Barber's Braised Short Ribs" from Amanda Hesser. How would this recipe do in a slow cooker (Crockpot?) Has anyone tried that?

asked by DianaVA almost 4 years ago

Brown the ribs on the stove. Layer the onions, garlic, etc. on the bottom of the slow cooker. Put the ribs on top. Mix all of the other ingredients together and pour over the ribs. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours; more time may be needed depending on how hot your slow cooker gets, the dimensions (large oval vs. taller), etc. Make sure the liquids nearly cover the ribs, adding a bit of water, if necessary. I'd test after 5 hours. The rib meat should be fork tender. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for answering -- I haven't made it in a slow cooker yet. Glad to know it works well!

LE BEC FIN

Antonia has it right. Keep in mind that just about any recipe (unless the piece of meat is too big) for 'braised' is what the crock pot was invented for!: a little liquid with protein and veggies- all cooked low and slow. Of course, you can also use the crock pot for soups and stocks and beans- all of which require more than a little liquid. The 'Low and Slow' allows the foods to gradually release and acquire their juices and flavors that all then blend together. Delicious!

DianaVA

Thank you, thank you! Very thoughtful and helpful advice.

Yep..I make his ribs in my slow cooker all the time just as AJ says. Works great.