How do I add vegetables to a roast in the crock pot?

I bought a pre-marinated roast from Trader Joe's with these instructions: brown in olive oil then cook in crock pot for 10-12 hours with 1/2 cup of water. I'm adding a ton of vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, peppers). Question: what goes on the bottom of the pot, the meat or the veg? And do I add more (or less) water?

• Posted by: pnoeric
  • February 12, 2015

Meaghan F
Meaghan F February 13, 2015

Put the potatoes and carrots in the bottom, everything else around and on top. Start with a scant 1/4 c water - the veggies will throw liquid as they cook.

pnoeric
pnoeric February 13, 2015

Thank you!

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN February 13, 2015

pn. meghan is right, but keep in mind that this is NOT roasting. Roasting happens in a very hot oven and the result is a crunchy sometimes caramelized exterior. What you are doing is Braising- meat or veggies in a liquid, done on a burner or in the oven or in your crockpot., resulting in soft tender meat and veggies. Delicious!

Edit: Aha! now i get it. You didn't ask what i thought you asked. You just left out the word 'add' to your title!