How do I add vegetables to a roast in the crock pot?

I bought a pre-marinated roast from Trader Joe's with these instructions: brown in olive oil then cook in crock pot for 10-12 hours with 1/2 cup of water. I'm adding a ton of vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, peppers). Question: what goes on the bottom of the pot, the meat or the veg? And do I add more (or less) water?

asked by pnoeric over 3 years ago

Meaghan F

Put the potatoes and carrots in the bottom, everything else around and on top. Start with a scant 1/4 c water - the veggies will throw liquid as they cook.

pnoeric

Thank you!

LE BEC FIN

pn. meghan is right, but keep in mind that this is NOT roasting. Roasting happens in a very hot oven and the result is a crunchy sometimes caramelized exterior. What you are doing is Braising- meat or veggies in a liquid, done on a burner or in the oven or in your crockpot., resulting in soft tender meat and veggies. Delicious!

Edit: Aha! now i get it. You didn't ask what i thought you asked. You just left out the word 'add' to your title!