how do you know when to use white or yellow onions in recipes?

what are the differences in flavors?

asked by claudia over 5 years ago

If a recipe doesn't specify the kind of onion, then it means they are calling for yellow onions. White onions. White onions are slightly milder in flavor and are typically used in Mexican cooking

It just depends on what you are cooking. My usual "go to" onion falls in the "sweet" category; Vidalia, Maui, Walla Walla. Otherwise turn to the common brown (Spanish) onion as they are less expensive.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Ditto what WileyP says. Also, sauteing them or caramelizing onions can make them sweeter and less sharp.