Your Personal Fav Filo Fillings?

I know this is a very wide-open question, but: Based on your actual experience, what are your personal favorite fillings for filo (any category)?
Yep, in my business, I certainly made my 1,000's of filo! My own fav filling, which i often return to, is a Mushroom Duxelles with sherry, Worc. sauce, sour cream, gruyere and ground toasted hazelnuts. (They make a great lunch when I want something crunchy and hot to go with a soup etc.) There are others, but that's my Desert Island filo! How about you? It's time for me to do some adventuring here! Thx much.

asked by LE BEC FIN almost 4 years ago

Not as subtle as your mushroom duxelles ones, but I love two simple fillings...any spinach (for ex the one used in Italian Easter pies, with egg onion & parmrsan), and a simple mashed potato filling, often with poppy seed on the Pastry. Called bourekas in Jewish cooking, simular to brik in Libyan cooking. Simple and satisfying as a snack, often topped with mustard, can become a meal with sausage & sauerkraut

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I love spinach combined with leek, feta and cottage cheese and this one with lamb and leek
https://food52.com/recipes...

savorthis

I remember folding up little duxelles triangles with my mom when I was little. I think you should take a classic like that and put a spin on it - swap the cheese for asian flavors. Or try a sweet potato, brown butter, hazelnut. Or take anything you'd wrap and fry in another wrapper and try it. For example: https://food52.com/recipes.... I also remember a recipe we'd make with chicken and herbed cheese wrapped in little filo cups. Or, I almost forgot, this spin on b'steeya https://food52.com/recipes...

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I am close to your original choice: mushrooms, cream, sherry, shallots, thyme, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.

Panfusine

Filo lends itself beautifully to traditional Indian flavors, I go crazy with all sorts of lentil curries (thickened beforehand to reduce the water content), pav bhaji, spiced potatoes, on the sweet side, I like to fill the pastry with a mix of coconut, sweetened with jaggery , sliced almonds and cardamom.

Jenn60

I love little filo packets filed with Brie & cranberries

Aliwaks

Winter squash, feta, green onions, reduced balsamic.
Faux- Bstilla- Shredded chicken, almonds, cinnamon, saffron.
Chard, walnuts, garlic, goat cheese.
Cauliflower, capers, yellow raisins, saffron, shallots, anchovies.
Goat cheese, oven dried tomatoes, mint.
Layers zucchini, ricotta salata, caramelized onions & fresh thyme.