Rescuing a dry scramble?

I'm making a quinoa, veggie, and egg scramble recipe (similar to the tofu scramble recipe on Food52), and it's ending up very dry. I've added a decent amount of olive oil, so short of adding a TON, I am stumped for how to get a better consistency. I'm cooking the quinoa, vegetables, and eggs separately and then combining briefly over low heat. Potential solutions: Apple cider vinegar? Water? Undercook the eggs?

asked by Posie (Harwood) Brien over 3 years ago

Leith Devine
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

I know this may sound unusual, but I add cottage cheese to my scrambled eggs. It adds moisture and flavor. Also, cook them very slowly and don't move the eggs around too much - the "curds" should be large, not small. After you've cooked the eggs fold in your other ingredients.

You can add cheese or sour cream, and so on, but most important is to scramble eggs slowly, over low heat. Or do them over a double boiler for really creamy texture. Either way, stop a bit before they're 'done' - eggs tend to 'cook' a bit after they leave the heat.

bamcnamara

Cook the eggs on very low heat and remove them before they look done. They go from delicious to rubber in seconds. Good luck!!!

I've always followed Richard Olney's advice to add a bit of cream towards the very end, while the eggs are still moist and tender. Ever since I encountered his sensuous description of how to scramble eggs, I've been a dévotée. Here is how I've most commonly used his method: https://food52.com/recipes...