Reusing pickling liquid?

I pickled some jalapeños a while ago and am wondering how long it would be safe to reuse the pickling liquid (it's been in the fridge the whole time, btw), I confess that I've already dumped a second batch into the jar when the first was almost used up with no adverse effects, but am wondering if there's an expiration date on the liquid, since vinegar lasts more or less forever and is itself a preserving agent.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

If you've kept the brine in the fridge, cold, and out of direct light, you should be fine. It's not really different than keeping a bottle of vinegar in the fridge for months - it lasts a long time. Vinegar sometimes gets cloudy as it gets older, but that doesn't signify a problem.

petitbleu

I would definitely use it again. If it makes you feel better, you can bring it to a boil, then pour it over more vegetables. You can also use it in vinaigrettes and marinades.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks -- that's what I suspected, but I feel better having confirmation!

henandchicks

Yes, use it again, in the fridge...BUT, know that the foods that have been pickled have soaked up some of the salt/sugar mixture and likely released some water, and so now the brine is not that same strength that it was, and will NOT have the same preserving effects, but will still make things taste nice. You must now look at the food the same way you would a marinated salad, and check for spoilage before eating.

bigpan

Keep it as suggested above.
Add 1 teaspoon to vodka and you have a great dirty martini.
Since you have a big quantity you will have to organize a dirty martini party !

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Yes, Henandchicks, that was exactly my concern. Thanks for the suggestion. As for a dirty martini party, a wonderful idea, but alas, one for another time since I am currently on the tail end of an interminable head cold (Probably some people would recommend dirty martinis to cure a head cold, but sadly not me!).