🔕 🔔

Can I substitute Guinness Beer for the water in a cake mix?

I want to make milk chocolate cake mix, using the beer instead of the water. Is this doable?

Laura is a Customer Care Associate at Food52 & Provisions

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I think so! Look at Arielle Clementine's The Snakebite cake - that uses Guinness. (Or just make her cake)

Why don't you try it and then tell us how it worked out?

Yes. But know that beer is obviously more acidic than water. For every ounces of acidic ingredient, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to neutralize the acids.

B8d44198 787a 4886 96f4 0abd13b5e8ba  stringio

do you think the addition of the baking soda to the already bubbly beer would result in too much air incorporated into the cake? just wanted your thoughts

Sorry to be so long responding, Matt Sloan. Loooong day at work. No. You'll be fine. I make a chocolate cake made with Stout, and the outcome is divine.