🔕 🔔

Mace

How much powdered mace would equal one single strand of mace? Never cooked with it before -- recipe calls for a single strand and could only get powdered at the market. Thanks in advance.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I would estimate about 1/8 teaspoon. The threads of mace that cover a nutmeg aren't all that substantial. Too, mace is very bitter, so a little bit goes a long way.

By the way, Kristen W., what are you making?

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks! Here's the recipe: http://www.vegrecipesofindia...

I really don't know this blog, but I got have a cauliflower and some potatoes from the CSA to contend with, and a yen for an Indian preparation. Based on the ingredient list it looked to me like it should be good.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

P.S. I didn't actually know that mace was the thread that covers nutmeg!

Ok, well, a nutmeg nut is covered by threads of red mace. Your Indian-inspired cauliflower and potatoes with mace (and who knows what else) sounds lovely, and I hope you'll post the recipe here on at Food52.

as you''ve already bought it, keep using the powdered mace. But fir those who don't have it, or don't love it, nutmeg makes a fine substitute.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

OK, good to know!

84c48e18 fad5 4582 9676 ddc96272a28a  fb avatar

Hi Kristen,
I am Indian cook and make hundreds of recipes using mace. It is a strong Indian spice with strong flavour. I usually use it in this http://www.rachnas-kitchen...
You can get info there.
Thanks