Lots of Lemons

I've got a bag full of lemons from a friend's tree in California. What should I make? Tell me your favorite recipes requiring loads of lemons. Thanks!

asked by Christine over 3 years ago

For stews, make preserved lemons. For drinking and great hostess gifts, make lemon vodka. For baking, candied lemon peel. For lemonade, salad dressings and general use, make lemon juice, freeze in ice cube trays for easy access (keeps 2-3 months).

LE BEC FIN

christine, i put 'lemons' in the search box at the top right of this page, and MANY pages came up. you might want to scan the posts. This one seems of use for you:
https://food52.com/hotline...

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Not a recipe, but I had a similar situation and I wound up juicing most of them and freezing the juice in ice cube trays for a portioned-out, ready made supply when I needed it.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Oops, just read Nancy's answer and saw that she already mentioned the ice-cube tray thing!

Kristen W. Not a problem. Still a good idea. P.s. I''ve done it too...written an answer, only to find it already posted.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Freeze the lemon juice, make homemade limoncello, ferment the lemons, pickle the lemons, make lemonade, make lemon curd, make lemon bars - so many things. Lucky you!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Lemon marmalade. I wonder if the quick candied kumquat recipe might work for lemons? Also lemons stuck w cloves and dried smell nice.

Good ideas. Related - spicy lemon chutney by Laurie Colwin.

Yes, freezing the juice in ice cube trays is always good. And before juicing you can peel or grate the skin to freeze separately (no waste, 'snout to tail' for lemons.)

Preserved lemons, lemon meringue pie, lemon bars, lemon salad dressing (good olive oil, lemon juice, salt; can add grainy mustard or not, as you wish). Nothin' better than fresh unwaxed lemons off the tree-I envy you!

I forgot to add, Moroccan chicken with lemon and olives...

Christine

These are all such great suggestions! I'll let you know what I make : )

April Bloomfield's Lemon Caper Salad Dressing is outstanding. Only uses two lemons but worth trying it out to welcome Spring. https://food52.com/recipes...

Healthline

Here are some great options for using lemons in every meal--
For the morning, Lemon Breakfast Bread: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/lemon-breakfast-bread

For a lunch or quick snack, Lemon Garlic Hummus:
http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/lemon-and-garlic-hummus

For a tasty (and healthy) dinner, Seared Salmon with Zucchini Lemon Thyme Noodles: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/seared-salmon-zucchini-lemon-thyme-noodles

And, of course, for dessert, Lemon Cardamom Cookies:
http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/lemon-cardamom-cookies

arcane54

Lazy Mary's lemon tart (on this site) is a miracle (be sure to look at both recipes -- one has the directions, the other has a lovely crust). So easy you'll make it often until your lemons are gone.

Miss Karen

Lemon Budino!
https://www.epicurious...

There are a lot of recipes, of course- my two biggies are lemon meringue pie (1c juice) and lemonade (1 1/2c. juice/ 2 qts), lemon bars, cakes cookies etc. The problem you run into is, whatever form it's in, there's only so much lemon that a limited group can be expected to eat in a short time. Therefore, preservation seems like a good idea- I freeze the juice in 1/2c increments in small plastic containers. If you want a bit of a project, you can zest the lemons first (I'd recommend an old fashioned zester)- it keeps pretty well dried or can be frozen, and is very useful.