A relative brought a home cured prosciutto at Christmas and it was delicious. Trouble was he insisted on keeping it sliced side down on one of my wooden cutting boards. Now the board has a musty smell and oily spots and I'm afraid bacteria may be lurking in there! Any ideas on how to properly clean it? Last time I cleaned one w/ bleach it eventually split....

asked by Homemadecornbread almost 8 years ago

nutcakes

I'd use coarse salt rubbed in with a lemon half. Then spritz the board with vinegar solution. There was a recent interesting article on vinegar:
http://www.npr.org/templates...

latoscana

USDA recommends cleaning a contaminated wood cutting board by soaking in a solution of 1 tbsp bleach diluted in 1 gallon of water for several minutes, then rinse with clear water, air dry or dry with paper towels: http://www.fsis.usda.gov....

Kayb

Pour a little vodka over it, and rub it in well with a paper towel. I've fooled myself into thinking that alcohol will either kill the germs, or at least make them happy...

If the ham was properly cured you are probably worried about nothing a little detergent and water won't fix. Just a good scrub followed by a rub down with mineral oil for the wood. But for a thorough santation, yes, bleach to water.

plevee

After you clean it rub the board with food grade mineral oil & let it soak in. Periodic treatments will prevent cracking.

We pour boiling water straight from the kettle over ours now and again