Can I make Melissa Clark's lemon bars ahead?

I'd like to make Melissa Clark's Lemon Bars with Olive Oil and Sea Salt over Easter weekend. I'll be traveling, and was hoping not to have to cook too much when I arrive. I know it'd be fine to make the shortbread crust a day or two ahead, but what about the lemon curd? Could I make it a couple days ahead, or would the flavor really suffer?

Thanks!

Katzen
Katzen March 27, 2015

Hi Cristina! A friend's mom makes absolutely wonderful lemon curd tarts at holidays that everyone looks forward to. The secret? A delicious lemon curd recipe that she whips up ahead of time, and spoons into tart shells at the last minute. She keeps the lemon curd in the fridge for up to a week, and it is delicious. Make sure you use the best lemons available to you (freshest, organic if possible), and store it cold during your travel.
Have a wonderful Easter!

Rhonda35
Rhonda35 March 27, 2015

I have not made Melissa Clark's lemon bars, but I have made Ina Garten's lemon bars for many, many years and they freeze beautifully. In fact, the best way to cut them into perfect little squares or rectangles is while they are frozen - no runny curd, knife-wiping, etc.

Cristina Sciarra
Cristina Sciarra March 30, 2015

Thanks for your answers! I think I'll prep the curd ahead, and then maybe stir in some lemon zest before baking to give the lemon a pick me up.