my whipping cream pound cake recipe calls for a sifter, but I don't own one. What can I use to sift my cake flour?? HELP!

asked by TopChef8682 almost 8 years ago

nutcakes

Do you have a mesh sieve? I use that and a whisk for sifting.

If you want to really cheat, whisk the flour in the bag or canister before measuring. Just be sure to "dip and sweep" when measuring so you don't compact the flour you've just whisked!

Homemadecornbread

I don't even use a whisk - I just tap the rim of the sieve against the palm of my hand. Easy and works like a charm.

TopChef8682

all I have is the whisk. No mesh nothing. Am I up the creek w/o a paddle?! Lol may have to go buy one

spiffypaws

Fluff it up real good with a fork or, in a pinch I've used a colander.

No, you're not up the creek without a paddle - in fact, a whisk works much better than a paddle for sifting anyway ;-)

Seriously, I regularly dump flour in a bowl and whisk it instead of sifting - no mesh sieve or sifter involved at all. Then, as Amanda said, dip and sweep to measure. It works fine.

Kayb

I use my all-purpose handled strainer/sieve, but the whisk, or a fork, in a pinch, works fine. I'm gradually learning to convert all my recipes to weight, anyway; a cup is not a cup is not a cup.