The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Louisa's Cake

251ea3fb bebc 4b20 bc02 c3a1e935504f  2016 0309 italian lemon ricotta cake for easter james ransom 041

I have a question about the recipe "Louisa's Cake" from Jennifer Wagner. Any suggestions on how I can halve the proportions? I just made homemade ricotta but I only have a little over 1/2 cup. Thank you!

asked by Assya about 2 years ago
94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Looks fairly easy to half the ingredients, except the eggs. You could do 4 small eggs, or one and a half eggs. A smaller pan of course, and I would start checking on it after 15 min in the oven, but not expect it to be cooked until after 20 - depending on your oven.

Could you tell us more about the ricotta you made? Did you make a traditional ricotta from a rennet based whey, or was it a home-style ricotta made with an acid (and no rennet)? The word ricotta is in one of those fuzzy times right now, where it's transiting from having a very specific definition, to now describing a whole style of cheese. Please forgive me for double checking if you are a cheese making purest.

I'm asking this because I think a ricotta style cheese made without rennet would give a very different texture than a traditional ricotta. Without the rennet the cheese wouldn't melt into the cake and make the finished cake a bit lumpy - which may be pleasant, or may not. Just something to consider.

Please let us know what you do and how it goes.

107b2f56 af50 4b12 9c93 f1d56c73ade9  profile

Hi!
Thank you so much for your answer. I used a ricotta recipe I found here (which called for 4 cups of milk and 3 tablespoons of vinegar).
I am absolutely not a purist for cheese or baking in general :) so I had no clue it could be an issue. I thought I'd give it a try, I will write the results here (I will bake this sometimes this week).

Thanks a lot again for your help

Hi

So I used my fresh ricotta and adapted the recipe as follows:
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
200 grams sugar
2 small eggs
100 grams all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
150 grams fresh ricotta
Zest of 1 lemon
3/4 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 apple, peeled and grated (yielded 90 grams)

I baked it in two small cake pans in corrugated paper for 35 minutes at 400 F.
They turned out good, I don't think there was a problem in texture.
What I did was I cut the ricotta with a spoon and mixed it to the butter sugar eggs mixture and once smooth I added the dry ingredients. Maybe that's why it worked?

8918aa2f 1c90 4ec2 8b15 aef0f8a1c089  image

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Sounds good. Mixing it till smooth probably did the trick. So glad it worked out. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome, just in case someone else wants to change proportions, I think 200 grams of sugar was too sweet so you may want to reduce to 150 grams probably.