🔕 🔔

beggar's chicken--oven temp and timing

I am editing an article that includes a recipe for beggar's chicken. The recipe suggests baking the clay-wrapped 3- to 4-lb. chicken for two hours at 500F. This seems like a long time in a very hot oven, and I worry about oven fires, explosions, etc. Other recipes I checked showed lower temps for less time. (I am not a food editor and am concerned about publishing something that could involve safety hazards.) Please advise!

asked by Kaja1105 over 2 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Your concerns seem valid -- the recipe I have for clay wrapped chicken (from Eugenia Bone's Kitchen Ecosystem that she credit's to her father, Robert Giobbi) cooks it for 1 hour at 350º F, then an additional half hour with the oven raised to 450º F. Here's the Saveur recipe for Robert Giobbi's Chicken Cooked in Clay: http://www.saveur.com/article...

Thank you!