🔕 🔔

I defrosted too much chicken stock. Is it safe to re-freeze it?

The stock is homemade; I froze it within a day of making it; I defrosted it in the fridge.

asked by Randi over 2 years ago

Absolutely. If any doubts, smell it....you'll know. :/

C9fe3f6c c3eb 473c 918e 88792bcc3a90  image

Can't agree. You need to re-boil it first. Then you have killed off ant micro-organisms.

ANY organisms.

@declan, as long as the stock hasn't entered the temperature danger zone, of generally of between 40 and 140 degrees F, all is good. And if it has, it needs to be treated as a reheated food, and reheated to 165 degrees, then cooled to 70 degrees within 2 hours, and then to 40 degrees or less within 4 hours.

I think @Randi is there.

Boulanger,
You are correct.
I missed the "defrosted under refrigeration" part. Oops! Must be getting old.
Sorry.

Bring it to a boil and cool down. It will then be safe to refreeze.