Even if it is pre-seasoned you'll have better results if you do it yourself, and it can't hurt to re-season it. Worth the extra time up front!

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

My guess is that one must clean pan well before seasoning, so that's why they give cleaning instructions. I bought mine "raw" so I could go through the whole process myself. It's a few days of oven baking with clear oil (not olive), but now I have a "nonstick" pan with no mispronounce able chemicals. Have fun!

barb48

thanks!

why not olive oil? Negative properties? Reactions with cast iron?

@Nancy, maybe its the smoke point.

Laura Candler
Laura Candler

Laura works at Lodge Cast Iron.

Hi Barb, My name is Laura and I work at Lodge. We pre-season all of our cast iron before it leaves the foundry, so your pan is ready to use right out of the box. Seasoning it again is entirely optional -- the more you season it the better it will get. Happy cooking!