New cast iron skillet has sharp bump on bottom

I recently bought my first brand new cast iron skillet. After I seasoned it and used it a few times I put it away in my cabinet and it scratched the shelf (cheap grade pressed wood). I felt the bottom of the pan and there is a sharp bump sticking out of the bottom. Is this normal and will it go away? Should I return the skillet? My parents and grandparents cast iron pans are all smooth but also have many years of use so I have never seen this before.

asked by Seth H almost 2 years ago

CHeeb

This sounds like a milling failure to smooth out the casting from the original molding. Unless using on a gas stove,you will have problems with most other stove tops. It won't affect oven use,but I would consider returning this one. It will take much use to wear down a poor mold spur like what you describe.

If you don't want to return it, you could simply file the burr off (assuming you don't have any sort of grinding tool)

I'd return it and start fresh.