cheese garnish for plain chocolate cake?

Planning to serve unfrosted chocolate cake with some fruit. What dairy garnish (except for ice cream) do you like? Anybody tried savory cheese? reactions?

asked about 3 years ago

Meaghan F

How about some baked Brie?

Lost_in_NYC

Mascarpone cheese slightly sweetened (or spiked!) could work since its used in tiramisu.

keg72

I'd probably just dust it with powdered sugar and call it a day. If you're set on incorporating a cheese element, I agree that going with mascarpone might be your best bet.

Not really savory, but you could whisk ricotta and mascarpone together, with a little vanilla and just a bit of confectioners' sugar - sort of a lightly sweetened version of a cannoli filling.

Francesca

I would use BelGioioso Whole Milk Ricotta, add a little sugar, mix. Then garnish with Raspberries.

Thanks all for your ideas :).
Francesca, if I can't find the BelGioso can I substitute another whole mill ricotta?

Francesca

Nancy, I have a lot of experience with BelGioioso, (family business). I am sure you could try another kind. I just like ours the best since it is a little sweeter.

Thanks, I''ll look for it...Bel Giosioso

Francesca

Also the mascarpone does work really well too. I sometimes whip that & make a frosting.

I was thinking to mix some chopped mint into either whole milk ricotta or mascarpone.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I love pushing the boundaries with sweet and savory. I, personally, would go for it and just try something unusual like a gorgonzola dolce with some seckel pears, or perhaps an aged goat cheese with tart apples. I have personal experience with pairing chocolate with goat cheese (in brownies), and it is a match made in heaven. I think chocolate cake tends to be pretty 1 dimensional anyway, so a powerful cheese with a sweet finish might just give it more depth.

TobiT

Ooh, the brownie/goat cheese thing sounds delicious! Did you add goat cheese to the batter or just crumble it in top?

POLC - both the goat and blue (gorgonzola solve) cheeses sound interesting notes. Since I asked the question this morning I came across a recipe that uses figs, pistachios and stilton...mousse, tuile, multiple sauces, etc....but the flavor profile could be adapted to accompany a cake.