🔕 🔔

what's the traditional liquor that goes in eggnog?

asked by @thefoodsection over 6 years ago

Is this a trick question? Bourbon is the one I've had and see in most recipes.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

I've had it with rum and also brandy, which add more sweetness.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Bourbon, rum and (not "or") cognac. All three, with whole eggs, heavy cream, nutmeg and cinnamon.

All (any) of the above! The liquor store even sells a holiday "mix" of rum and brandy, perhaps just for eggnog! Oh, and I noticed that they sell a premixed Evan Williams (bourbon) eggnog, as well.

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

Oh My God . . My mother and her sister (two Scots women) would make egg nog every Christmas with every alcohol available. No open flames where allowed in the same room as their concoction, but it was the best in the world. Bourbon, rum, brandy, etc. Another words, it is open for interpretation. Keep adding the ingredients, taste it and see how it is. That is the fun.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I think it's partly a question of family tradition, but also a regional thing. For my husband's family in Kentucky, anything but bourbon in egg nog would be unthinkable. But I used to have a neighbor that grew up in Jamaica, who made incredible egg nog every Christmas - always with lots of rum (really good rum too,) sprinkled with fresh grated nutmeg. So good.

You can use whatever you like... bourbon, brandy, rum or whiskey!