🔕 🔔

Use for apples

Picked 6 pounds of apples today (mostly winesap). Anyone have thoughts on how to use them? Thinking of making a traditional two-crust pie, but don't have a go-to recipe.

asked almost 5 years ago

I'm planning on using pan carmelized fall fruits, such as apples and pears on flat breads for breakfasts. Possibly add a bit of jamon on there and a smelly cheese like cabrales to wake everyone up.

How about long and slow roasted apples for Clara? I made Dorie Greenspan's slow roasted apples (Around my French Table) for a dinner party recently . It was a hit with the adults, as well as a 9 month old baby girl. If you have any leftovers, they make a great filling for hand pies, or simple eaten with ice cream or whipped cream.

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

cook the apples down in sugar and roll them up in cinnamon rolls.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Store them! They can last a long time if done correctly. Like sweet onions one old time trick for long term storage without a 'root cellar'..is using panty hose, old stockings..etc.

Put in an apple, tie a knot in the hose, and then repeat. Hang it up in a dark closet.
When you need one or so..snip off below the knot.

I would do this more often but I'm kinda embarrassed to purchase panty hose...or ask my female friends for their used panty hose.

Apple Butter. Cut em up and cook em down really slow (a slow cooker on low works great). Add a tiny bit of cinnamon and nutmeg at the very end. When it's the consistency of tempered butter, pass it through a chinois.

Tarte Tatin or Stacey's fantastic Apple Nougat Tart - http://www.staceysnacksonline...

This serves as a reminder to make it again very soon to celebrate Apple Season!

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

If you don't quite get to pastry rolling, you could make a sponge cake pudding of sorts as well, with apples on the bottom and batter poured on top.
You probably already know this, but it's good to keep in mind that cooked apples in general slow down elimination in babies, whereas uncooked ones (juice,puree), facilitate it.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I tested this recipe for community pick and I think you'll really like it. (it's truly scrumptious)
http://food52.com/recipes...

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I love Liz the Chef's Pear Crisp turned to Apple Crisp: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

And I do get lots of compliments on my double caramelized apple jam:

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I have a bowl of apples I plan to turn into pie too, maybe I will make one of the suggestions above!
In addition to pie, this is one of my favorite ways to use up apples: http://food52.com/recipes...

Core, peel, slice & dry a whole lot. They will make great snacks all winter. If the peels have a little apple on them, dry the peels too.