Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

6eeec7e4 24b3 4a43 9d60 be147ef30739  img 3778

I've had it at a pop-up in London called Bonedaddies Shackfuyu where they use it for coating French toast!

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

how cool! Mixed with sugar or just plain? and coating it before or after frying? Thx!

B7e12ca6 918d 46aa 88e4 bc782616b653  anguyen headshot blog
Andrea Nguyen

Andrea is a cooking teacher, food writer, contributing editor at Rodale's Organic Life, and a cookbook author; her latest book is The Banh Mi Handbook.

Soybeans and maple syrup are a match made in heaven so you're on the right track! Yup, kinako is often used to coat or garnish foods as you say. Kinako expresses its aroma and flavor best as a finishing ingredient. Sprinkle it on your smoothie? Maybe oatmeal too? For a spread like what you're describing it may be easier and less expensive to buy soynut butter and mix maple syrup into it; treat soynut butter kinda like tahini. How about using that spread between cookies? I'm not expert on soynut butter but it's typically made from roasted soybeans. Kinako is made from grinding up roasted soybeans but the skins are usually removed before processing.

Here's a favorite recipe for dango, a traditional Japanese rice dumpling topped with kinako and brown rice syrup (feel free to substitute a dark amber maple syrup): http://www.vietworldkitchen...

2ae833bf 51c5 4a28 8719 d2a56db75cb7  japanese dango kinako syrup

andrea, thx so much for your fun response and recipe link. Some questions- why the mix of 2 different sweet rice (glutinous rice) flours? I've never seen or read about Thai sweet rice flour. Michiko (Japanese) is the one I see most. BTW, have you ever run across BROWN sticky rice flour/powder? My own search for it-has been fruitless. I recently bought a bag of Korean 'brown rice powder' but i'm guessing that it is not brown sticky/glutinous rice. Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour is also not made from sticky rice, per their response to my inquiry.

Seems to me it would make this dessert more fun if it were filled w/ adzuki bean paste or sweetened black sesame paste- like the Chinese dumplings. Any reason you can think of to not try that? I'd also like to try adding matcha to the dough. Love your dimpled shape! it's so much more appealing than balls imo.

Andrea Nguyen

The two glutinous rice flours are mixed to arrive at just a pleasant moderately soft, chewy texture. Mochiko is ground from dry rice grains (like Bob's) whereas Thai brands are ground from soaked rice grains. They're different textures and hydrate differently, as you can imagine. I've not found brown sweet rice flour, though I suppose you could buy the grains, soak them then grind them. Very old school.

You could fill the dumpling if you like. The dango recipe I have is straight up and very pretty. Glad it appeals!!!

Yes - love the flavor. Have used it to coat mochi, as you mentioned, but have also made ice cream with it. David Lebovitz has a recipe in his book The Perfect Scoop. Maybe you could sprinkle it over French toast, as well?

Sorry I didn't even see Izy Hossack's response re: the French toast! I would tend to use it as powdered sugar is used, after the French toast is cooked.