Anyone Played Around with Kinako(Roasted Soybean Powder)?

Has anyone ever played around with Kinako- roasted soybean powder? The Japanese use it as a coating on their mochi . I have played with it by adding a tiny bit of maple syrup and some water to get a dipping or spreading consistency. I am imagining that the kinako-maple spread would make a neat 'icing' or filling for sandwich cookies.Particularly for more health conscious bakers. I'm thinking that kinako might be able to sub for nut butters, but now that i've said it, i'm thinking maybe not. Because it is a powder, it seems to be lacking fat, and there already exists Soybean Butter which i imagine is directly substitutable for other nut butters in baking. Maybe kinako would be a good shot of protein in a smoothie?

Izy Hossack
Izy Hossack April 28, 2015

I've had it at a pop-up in London called Bonedaddies Shackfuyu where they use it for coating French toast!

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN May 4, 2015

how cool! Mixed with sugar or just plain? and coating it before or after frying? Thx!

Andrea Nguyen
Andrea Nguyen April 29, 2015

Soybeans and maple syrup are a match made in heaven so you're on the right track! Yup, kinako is often used to coat or garnish foods as you say. Kinako expresses its aroma and flavor best as a finishing ingredient. Sprinkle it on your smoothie? Maybe oatmeal too? For a spread like what you're describing it may be easier and less expensive to buy soynut butter and mix maple syrup into it; treat soynut butter kinda like tahini. How about using that spread between cookies? I'm not expert on soynut butter but it's typically made from roasted soybeans. Kinako is made from grinding up roasted soybeans but the skins are usually removed before processing.

Here's a favorite recipe for dango, a traditional Japanese rice dumpling topped with kinako and brown rice syrup (feel free to substitute a dark amber maple syrup): http://www.vietworldkitchen...

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN May 4, 2015

andrea, thx so much for your fun response and recipe link. Some questions- why the mix of 2 different sweet rice (glutinous rice) flours? I've never seen or read about Thai sweet rice flour. Michiko (Japanese) is the one I see most. BTW, have you ever run across BROWN sticky rice flour/powder? My own search for it-has been fruitless. I recently bought a bag of Korean 'brown rice powder' but i'm guessing that it is not brown sticky/glutinous rice. Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour is also not made from sticky rice, per their response to my inquiry.

Seems to me it would make this dessert more fun if it were filled w/ adzuki bean paste or sweetened black sesame paste- like the Chinese dumplings. Any reason you can think of to not try that? I'd also like to try adding matcha to the dough. Love your dimpled shape! it's so much more appealing than balls imo.

Andrea Nguyen
Andrea Nguyen May 5, 2015

The two glutinous rice flours are mixed to arrive at just a pleasant moderately soft, chewy texture. Mochiko is ground from dry rice grains (like Bob's) whereas Thai brands are ground from soaked rice grains. They're different textures and hydrate differently, as you can imagine. I've not found brown sweet rice flour, though I suppose you could buy the grains, soak them then grind them. Very old school.

You could fill the dumpling if you like. The dango recipe I have is straight up and very pretty. Glad it appeals!!!

magpiebaker
magpiebaker May 5, 2015

Yes - love the flavor. Have used it to coat mochi, as you mentioned, but have also made ice cream with it. David Lebovitz has a recipe in his book The Perfect Scoop. Maybe you could sprinkle it over French toast, as well?

magpiebaker
magpiebaker May 5, 2015

Sorry I didn't even see Izy Hossack's response re: the French toast! I would tend to use it as powdered sugar is used, after the French toast is cooked.