I have about 10 lbs of sweet peppers, all colors and types (bell, small minis, cubanelle). What can I possibly do with them?

I know j can make a primavera by adding some other veggies; but man, I need more ideas...

asked by Pamela731 over 3 years ago

This Portuguese red pepper paste is one idea; it's scrumptious and versatile:https://food52.com/recipes.... Homemade harissa for the hot chiles: https://food52.com/blog...
This is my recipe, it was a F52 finalist: https://food52.com/recipes...

Cav
Cav

I recently had a similar problem with a massive glut of orange bell peppers that somehow fell from a bargain rack into the supermarket trolley and came home with us. Solution was to gently cook them with onions and a little garlic, puree and pass through a fine mesh sieve to make a basic sauce. It's been seasoned and used as a sauce for Skate wings and as the base of a pepper soup.

nlog2n

You could dice/slice them and add to a Lowcountry Seafood Purloo: http://www.wsj.com/articles... (I omitted the scallops since they were too expensive, but fresh shrimp can stand well on their own!)

You could include them in shrimp and grits - just sautee the sweet peppers (diced/sliced) with the shrimp: (http://www.saveur.com/article...)

You could make a good base for shrimp creole, etoufee, or gumbo!

I find that sweet peppers go well with shrimp ~ good luck!

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Roast the larger ones, leave the charred skins on and then freeze them for later use. The charred skins will slip right off when defrosted. You might try pickling the minis. If you like, you can also dice any green or red bells and freeze them raw for use in soups, stews or sauces.

Meaghan F

I roast and freeze bell peppers in batches all the time but never knew that trick about leaving the skins on... Thanks!

Sounds like a tasty a colorful Peperonata! Similar to Caponata, but featuring peppers, it's a tasty Italian antipasto (or salad, or pasta topping, etc., etc.)

pickle them, alone or with some other vegetables in an Italian Giardiniera. Good for antipasto use and as hostess gifts. see this recipe, for example, by our own Mrs Wheelbarrow http://cooking.nytimes...

Lost_in_NYC

This is a nice problem to have!
I like the roasting idea and using them as hostess gifts as someone mentioned earlier.
You could also use them in a bunch of different salsas/dips, spreads, skewers, peppers stuffed with herbed goat cheeses (roasted together), or simply give a bunch away to friends/neighbors who would appreciate and use them!

Pepper Soup! You could saute some and freeze. Agree with stuffing them- meat cheese, lentil salad, etc.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

It is a little bit of work but it will be worth it https://food52.com/recipes...

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Soffits is super easy and freezes. Onions, garlic, peppers, cilantro, a bit of hot pepper, blender to purée, done. So delicious in rice and beans, Asopao de pollo.

Pamela731

This was great! I'm using as marinades, brushed on shrimp. I even heavily browned up some ground beef, drained and finely crumpled it, mixed it with the pepper sauce. Super spicy, but when extended, made a great hot dog chili.

Meaghan F

Two delicious words: PEPPER JELLY. I looove pepper jelly, and it sounds like you have enough that, if you wanted, you could get creative with different added flavors in different batches. Roasting them, as suggested above, is also a great idea.

andreabakes

Freeze this to use as a sauce for seafood or chicken. Or purée into a creamy soup.
2T olive oil in a large Dutch oven.
Sauté 3 onions, diced
3 sweet peppers sliced
3 celery ribs chopped
3 carrots sliced into 1/2 rounds
8 cloves garlic, sliced
You may add fresh fennel, leeks...
1 t Kosher salt & 1/2 t fresh pepper.
Sauté about 10 minutes until soft
Add 1/4 tomato paste
1 Bay leaf
Mix to incorporate - if you enjoy the depth of flavor anchovies add (yum) add 2, chopped now.
1 cup dry white wine
30 oz Italian tomatoes, as you stir cut them up against pot.
Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer for about 20 min, covered.

If using seafood, I like to sauté the shells of shrimp at the beginning. Maybe a pinch of saffron.

Use it as a sauce while cooking seafood, chicken, over pasta. Purée to make a wonderful soup. Play with it to your own taste. Enjoy.

Pamela731

Fantastic! Did it with shrimp

andreabakes

Oops, I omitted 2 things, tho small, and I'm fixing them here...

Cut carrots into 1/2" rounds

Add 1/4 cup tomato paste.

Susan

Peppers are the easiest to freeze: no blanching or other prep work required. Besides slicing in strips as suggested above, dice some too. You can also leave some of the bitty ones whole. If you have a dehydrator, peppers are great dried. When I have bunches of hot peppers, I pickle them in a simple brine. There's a good basic recipe at Foodinjars.

During a cooking program in Puglia, one of favorite dishes was a version of peperonata: Add a liberal amount of olive oil to a frying pan. Add chopped garlic and finely sliced peppers--enough to make a heaping panful, because the peppers cook down quite a bit. I like to use red, yellow, and orange peppers. Be sure the peppers are thinly sliced--you don't want big chunks. Fry very gently, perhaps 20 to 30 minutes until the peppers are meltingly soft. Toss in breadcrumbs--enough to absorb any juices. Stir a few more times then serve with meat as a side vegetable.

Pamela731

Thank you -- this is a wonderful sounding idea!