Macaron Air Bubble Advice

Help! I've been making macarons for years and have gotten down a lot of the process. However, no matter what I do my macarons ALWAYS have an air bubble in them. Sometimes it's large, sometimes it's small, and no matter what I change I can't figure out what's causing it. Does anyone have any idea what leads to air bubbles in macarons?! I'd post the recipe but I know this is a bit of a universal problem no matter what technique is used but will post if anyone thinks it will help troubleshoot.

asked by Peter about 3 years ago

Mei Chin

Do you rap the tray a few times on the counter before you bake? That will help any trapped air come to the surface and escape before it gets trapped in the cookies.

Peter

Yes! In fact I do it so hard I suspect my neighbor hates me haha.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Are you using a French or Italian meringue? In both methods, there is a step called the "macaronage" where you have to mix the batter enough, but not too much. I find that if I'm too delicate with the folding process, not enough air has been knocked out of the meringue, and they're too "bulbous". I use the Italian method and, after it comes together, I fold the batter (using a bench scraper) a few more times in order to slacken it up a bit...and I don't generally worry about overmixing, because the meringue is far more stable. I hope that helps.

Melissa McKelvey

Hmm, mine don't get air bubbles. Occasionally they're malformed, but I don't think that's related. I swear by the recipe in the Bouchon Bakery cookbook, they've been nearly flawless every time I've made them. The recipe isn't particular about using old or room temperature egg whites, nor do you have to let the piped shells sit for a period of time before baking. In fact, I rarely rap the tray on the counter anymore.

Nicole

I have the same problem. The fluffy cookie part ends up being very thin and the outside is just right just a giant air bubble forms. I believe it's the oven temp maybe. I set it to 300 but that doesn't always been they will bake at 300. The oven might actually be at 290 or something. Experiment. That's what I'm gonna do. Gonna try at 310 or 320. You can always check it with a meat thermometer.