🔕 🔔

Macaron Air Bubble Advice

Help! I've been making macarons for years and have gotten down a lot of the process. However, no matter what I do my macarons ALWAYS have an air bubble in them. Sometimes it's large, sometimes it's small, and no matter what I change I can't figure out what's causing it. Does anyone have any idea what leads to air bubbles in macarons?! I'd post the recipe but I know this is a bit of a universal problem no matter what technique is used but will post if anyone thinks it will help troubleshoot.

asked by Peter over 1 year ago
F1531b55 0ce5 4282 9176 a43980607475  image

Do you rap the tray a few times on the counter before you bake? That will help any trapped air come to the surface and escape before it gets trapped in the cookies.

Yes! In fact I do it so hard I suspect my neighbor hates me haha.

B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Are you using a French or Italian meringue? In both methods, there is a step called the "macaronage" where you have to mix the batter enough, but not too much. I find that if I'm too delicate with the folding process, not enough air has been knocked out of the meringue, and they're too "bulbous". I use the Italian method and, after it comes together, I fold the batter (using a bench scraper) a few more times in order to slacken it up a bit...and I don't generally worry about overmixing, because the meringue is far more stable. I hope that helps.

Ddabc4e1 74df 46ca 99be c0e677d123ec  5619614406 3b6c3edf5b z

Hmm, mine don't get air bubbles. Occasionally they're malformed, but I don't think that's related. I swear by the recipe in the Bouchon Bakery cookbook, they've been nearly flawless every time I've made them. The recipe isn't particular about using old or room temperature egg whites, nor do you have to let the piped shells sit for a period of time before baking. In fact, I rarely rap the tray on the counter anymore.