Flavoring macarons

A neighbor and I are having a baking day at my house on Wednesday and we're trying our hand at the ever so trendy macaron for the first time. Making a lemon curd or chocolate version seems straightforward enough, but we wanted to make some strawberry ones for her 4 year old twins. It would seem we simply add a drop of red food coloring to the batter to make it pink, but how to make strawberry buttercream? Add preserves? Also - tips on making pistachio flavored ones? I'm going to make some black sesame ones with Yuzu buttercream for the grownups.

gulenay
gulenay March 21, 2011

I love macarons blue ones i think their blueberries

littleknitter
littleknitter March 21, 2011

Strawberry preserves seem like the way to go for the buttercream since they'll be less watery than actual strawberries.

Here's a recipe for pistachio and cacao nib macarons:
http://www.tarteletteblog.com/2010/12/recipe-pistachio-cocoa-nib-macarons.html
Tartelette substitutes some of the almond meal for ground up pistachios for the pistachio flavor.

Laura Minkler
Laura Minkler March 21, 2011

stephanie over on dessertsforbreakfast.com seems to be both a fiend and a pro at macarons... and particularly with interesting flavors!