buttermilk sub

I always do the '1 tbsp white vinegar per 1 cup milk' buttermilk substitute--but if I'm making waffles for people who are lactose intolerant, what is the best way to go about substituting for buttermilk? Thanks

asked by Mary Grace over 3 years ago

Almond milk works great. You can add a touch of lemon juice to the batter to give it a bit of tang.
What are the other ingredients in your recipe? Leaveners are often adjusted to account for the acidity in buttermilk. ;o)

Mary Grace

Thank you! I will play around with the baking soda/powder :)
recipe: https://food52.com/recipes...

Actually, I think that if you use a teaspoon of lemon juice to a cup of almond milk, or whatever ratio is your workaround for making buttermilk, the acidity should be fine, and you won't need to change the leaveners. Let us know how it turns out! ;o)

Lexie

You can substitute buttermilk with lactose-free yogurt.