Cultured buttermilk or Lemon + Milk trick buttermilk for fried chicken

Hi everyone :)
Which buttermilk is best for fried chicken?
Cultured Milk or lemon + milk trick buttermilk work well?

asked by Ronan Gow over 1 year ago

former Community Editor

I haven't made fried chicken before, so rather than weigh in with pure opinion, I'm going to point you to this article with the opinions of experts! https://food52.com/blog...

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

With my experience with buttermilk in general, cultured milk tends to have more body than homemade buttermilk which would lend itself to fried chicken because it would stick better. If you're just marinating it, you could probably get away with either....but I use buttermilk to create a coat for the flour to stick to.