What veggies pairs well with Duck Confit?

I'm making Duck Confit and I'm not sure what vegetables to use with it. I want to use a vegetable that would cut some of the richness of duck.

asked by Scottielew over 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I don't know if I would think vegetables as much as I would think fruit. I think bitter greens with winey berries, cherries or plums would pair beautifully. If veggies are your ultimate goal, perhaps something pickled like a homemade giardinera. I've done that with a braised short rib and a parsnip puree, it was a lovely balance between rich, tangy, spicy and earthy.

Scottielew

Thank you!! Great ideas!!

Alexandra V. Jones

Kale, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted carrots, slow cooked leeks, braised cabbage and bacon! Basically if you have duck confit, you can't go wrong. Happy cooking!

Scottielew

My wife loves sweet potatoes! Great suggestions

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I am very much with PieceOfLayerCake, duck confit calls for a touch of sweetness. I would pair it with a rooth vegetable or cauliflower puree with a jam or chutney on top.

Scottielew

I totally agree! Thanks

I eat duck confit with most all vegetables, often plain green ones if, like you, I'm trying to cut the richness of the duck. Brussels sprouts in winter, asparagus in spring, green beans (especially haricots verts) in later spring and summer. Broccoli or any of its relatives.

Scottielew

I wasn't a big fan of Brussels sprouts but now I am! Thanks

keg72

Roasted cauliflower would be great as would a nice green salad with a balsamic vinaigrette. That would also add a touch of sweetness from the balsamic.

Scottielew

I like the vinaigrette idea! Thanks

Jenny Maria

A salad of bitter greens and walnuts. Kale and appels

For what it's worth, traditional accompaniments for duck confit are sauteed or roast potatoes - done in some of the duck fat - and a simple salad with a tart vinaigrette to cut the richness. Delicious. If you want to splurge, a glass of Sauternes is also often served - a rather luxurious way to bring a sweet note.

The French traditionally serve duck confit atop a salad of mixed greens dressed with a mustardy vinaigrette. The vinaigrette is a great counterpoint to the rich confit. I have also served duck confit atop black-eyed peas. They're good either hot or cold in a salad and the flavors are very complimentary. Cruciferous vegetables would just about all go well with the confit.

PazzoNico

I'll add to all of the already great suggestions; SLAW (vinegar based). Essentially a pickled salad. You could go traditional with cabbage, but I prefer other vegetable slaws. Fennel, brussels sprouts, broccoli stems, celery root, kohlrabi, celery hearts, etc. (or obviously a combo of any of those).
And you could look beyond standard apple cider vinegar. Other vinegars; rice wine, champagne, red wine, tarragon, white balsamic...or lemon, lime, or grapefruit juice.

Pickled mustard seeds are another great addition. Bright, acidic, spicy.

Scottielew

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions!! I can't wait!!