Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Melissa Clark's Really Easy Duck Confit

Ok trying this again. I plan to make duck confit for dinner and would like to roast fingerling potatoes in the duck fat. The logistics of this are a bit of a problem however as the only duck fat I will have is that rendered from the legs used for the confit. If I cook the duck for 3 hours it is just not going to work to then turn around and reuse the fat on the potatoes before dinner. I have 2 choices I think, A) make the confit one day and serve(reheated) the next day with freshly roasted potatoes. B) forget about doing the potatoes in duck fat.

Suggestions? I have made the confit before and I have found it reheats very well. In the past I have made if for myself and it usually finishes cooking about 9 pm. This time around will be for company.

asked by caninechef 3 months ago
88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Make the confit in advance.

While I haven't tried Melissa's recipe, I have made confit numerous times before with the intent that I will let it age for several months before serving it. The long term preservation aspect is one of the defining characteristics of this traditional preparation and many believe the confit flavor improves with age.

I find that the duck never renders enough fat for the confit process, so I always add some lard. My notes from the last time I made confit was that the resultant fat was 50% duck fat, 50% lard.

Good luck.

My second thought is your suggestion to forget using the duck fat for the potatoes, at least for this particular dinner.

That dovetails with my basic M.O. to keep things simple, especially when entertaining.

The more complicated you make things, the more chances you have of screwing something up. Depending on who your dinner guests are and your confidence in your cooking skills should dictate how you proceed. We don't know anything about either, so it is entirely your call.

CV gave you good advice. If it were me and I was having company, I'd purchase some rendered duck fat and use that for the potatoes.

FatWorks is a good resource for all kinds of fat from pastured animals. Yes, even the ducks, so that fat is fairly limited.

Agree generally with the comments so far.
The duck confit is already a treat for your guests, and most accompaniments (potatoes, green beans, lentils, other vegetables) would be a plus.
Make life easier for yourself when entertaining. You want to avoid being tired and/or worried when you have guests. Do whichever (A or B) works best with your schedule and supplies available in your neighborhood.

I've made this potato galette and served it with duck, siphoning off a few tablespoons of fat as the duck was roasting. It's stupendous. I don't use the caraway seeds, instead sprinting it with smoked paprika. It's also good made with just butter.

http://www.bonappetit.com...

This sounds great but I will skip for now on this weeknight dinner. Maybe I can recycle fat from the confit and try it soon. Thanks

Thanks for the comments. I have another question-- would freezing the duck while it is in spice rub work or should it be avoided? Dinner is for my brother and SIL so absolutely no need to Impress. But we all love duck and I have enjoyed this recipe immensely and want to share it with them. Not sure how at this point this dinner will come off. I went to local produce and meat vendor yesterday to find they had fresh duck. This is a hit or miss product for them and never advertised, it just shows up off and on. So in my enthusiasm I bought the duck without remembering commitments we both have this week.

So I may by necessity need to cook the duck a day or 2 in advance of serving. My alternative is to freeze the duck in the seasoned rub ( applied this AM). The first option will work and I know from experience the duck will still be great. IS freezing an option or should I go with the cook and reheat idea.

I think freezing the duck with spice rub will do no harm, but won't add much either.
On the other hand, if you cook it now, you'll have tasted & adjusted the additions to make it good, then serve. If there are any leftovers, you can freeze them, knowing they're ready to serve or add to something like pasta or soup.

As CV posted, making the confit in advance is desirable, so definitely do that if possible or are you saying you don't have time?

I often do a quick freeze to meats to extend their life for a few days. I just partially freeze for an hour or so depending on what the meat is.

Duck dinner came off fine. Since I had to hold the duck a bit longer than originally planned anyway I cooked the duck Weds night ( out of oven at 10 PM) and then had plenty of duck fat for very good roast potatoes. Duck reheated fine.